Reports To: Special Events Manager
Position: Intern – 10-15 hours per week (flexible schedule)
Salary: Unpaid – Ability to earn college credit required
About Susan G. Komen San Antonio
Susan G. Komen for the Cure began in 1982 as a promise between Nancy G. Brinker and her sister Susan G. Komen who died of breast cancer at age 36. Komen has invested nearly $2.2 billion in breast cancer research and community outreach programs, becoming one of the largest global sources of funds fighting breast cancer.
Established in 1997, Komen San Antonio Affiliate has invested more than $17.5 million. Seventy-five percent supports local nonprofit programs providing vital breast cancer screening, treatment and education right here in San Antonio. The remaining 25 percent goes to the Susan G. Komen Grants Program for groundbreaking breast cancer research and scientific programs around the world. Historically, more than 100 percent of funds the San Antonio Affiliate sends to HQ come back to our community in research grants.
- Assist the Special Events Manager with marketing efforts surrounding current and new third party fundraisers
- Compile listing of area businesses that would make great Komen partners
- Make initial contact with new businesses; introduce Komen
- Create social media and website copy for events
- Research other Affiliates to find out what companies they are partnering with; what they’re promoting
- Assist in developing and implementing the revamped Teams Program
- Refining the new Team Captain Handbook
- Reaching out via phone and email to potential liaisons; schedule time to discuss position duties
- Assist with creating team captain tools and resources, including fundraising tips, recruiting new member tips and breakroom posters
- Solicit in-kind donations and fundraising incentives from local businesses when needed
- Represent Affiliate as needed at community fundraisers, speaking and networking events
- Provide on-site assistance at event set-up
- Respond to regular event correspondence via phone and email
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent communication, customer service and interpersonal skills
- Must be comfortable speaking to groups of 10-50
- Must have own laptop computer
- A passion for writing and discipline to edit using AP style
- Strong time-management, organizational and research skills
- Quick learner with the ability to self-motivate and work in a team environment
- Undergraduate (Junior / Senior level) or graduate student required
- Must be able to attend 1-2 events on weekends, dates TBD
- Must have own transportation and willingness to travel throughout the City of San Antonio
The Special Event Intern’s efforts will contribute to the efficiency of the Affiliate’s development and communications efforts while learning key skills in revenue generation and event logistics. The Intern will have the opportunity to work within the nonprofit sector and will develop a multitude of beneficial talents. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Please Send Cover Letter and Resume to: Angela Parks, Special Events Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.